Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Songs we Sing

Oh he was just a long, lean country geek
from a-way out West where the hop toads wink
He was six foot two in his stockin' feet
and he kep' a-gettin' skinnier the more he'd eat.
But he was brave as he was thin
when the war broke out he jumped right in
unhitched his mule, put the plow away
and here's what the Old Folks heard him say,
"Goodbye Ma, Goodbye Pa,
goodbye mule with yer old hee-haw!
I may not know what the war's about,
but I'll betcha by gosh I'll soon find out.
And oh my sweetheart, don't you fear.
I'll bring you a king for a souvenir.
Maybe a Turk and a Keyser, too,
but that's about all one fella can do!"

Shave-an'-a-haircut, six bits!

**********************

Oh I had a little chicky
and she wouldn't lay an egg
So I poured hot water
up an' down her leg
And the little chicky cried
and the little chicky begged
And the little chicky laid a hard-boiled egg!

Bum boo de ah dum, Some Chick!

**********************

My name is Leonardo
I am a retardo
I live on the ninety-fourth floor
(*) I sit on the steeple and spit (shit) on the people
and they say,
"Leonardo, whadoyoudo that for?"
And I say,
"My name is Leonardo
I am a retardo
I live on the ninety-fourth floor (*)

repeat endlessly between the (*) signs, never ever counting down like the song was intended

**********************

No comments: